Monday, March 1, 2010

We The People Bio -Luis Patino

Hmm, We The People. A lot of people will think that what I am about to say is the same old story that I know how to tell. But I guess they are going to have to stick with it because it plays a big role when I had to decided to join “We The People.” I come from a family who has had little or no relation what’s so ever with politics. I, myself never thought of getting involved in politics either, all I wanted to do was get done with high school and start college that following fall. I was just like any other person who comes from outside the country; try to improve my living conditions in a future, yet a little bit better because I wanted to get an education not like the rest of my family who did not attend school at all.

My thoughts changed when I took AP History in my junior year. The history of America just fascinated me and still does. I got interested in joining AP Government the following year and also the well known “We The People.” Unfortunately tragedy struck the family and my future plans when my mom passed away due to a car accident. Before the accident, I was living with one of my sisters who helped me a bunch and would help me pay the most of the bills. My sister moved to Mexico to take care of my dad, and there goes Luis. Well, first I already had a job which was really close to home. One of my brothers offered me shelter, but if I was to accept I would have to move to the south part of the valley and attend that mmmm if forgot what it is call. Mountains BOO? Oh sorry it is Mountain C… anyway you all get my point. So I decided to stay where I was and be on my own. From then on, I really depended on my work a lot because I had and still do pay most of the bills that come around. I couldn’t join any other clubs because I didn’t have the time; I had to work right after school, but worse, before school as well. I lost a lot of opportunities but time was really crucial at the moment, I had a lot to do with little benefits coming back to me. Before my junior year ended, I decided to drop AP Government. I really wanted to be part of We The People but I knew that I will not have the time for it. Effort, I could put the effort but on my own, and we the people works better as a team.

Senior year came and I had government as my first class of the day. Mr. Rigby was really disappointed that I decided to not join AP Government and We The People. I remember him saying that I had the potential to do it. And I would always respond that I didn’t, it was just luck what I accomplished in AP History. Well, within those first weeks of my senior year I faced a lot of individuals who were part of We The People already. They kept asking me why I didn’t join the team, that I was making a mistake, or that they needed me on the group. These individuals who are now my team members and also my other family, kept trying to convince me to join We The People for a long period of time, but I never let go. The main reason was my work. Like I mentioned, I really depended on my work because I needed the money badly. First tri ended and my last chances of joining the team were about to fade away.

The new tri was around the corner, and my schedule seemed like it was going to stay as planned without taking AP government. Rigby and other students talked to me one last time and I finally let go, I decided to join. I felt like this was the best decision I could have made because it definitely changed the way I see politics now days. I have learned a lot from my Unit. I also learn that when in come to politics opinions are way different and can get into ugly discussions. No wonder why congressman can never get along huh!? Still, we don’t hate each other, but a lot of respect has build between all of us.

I have had a lot of great experiences like WINNING STATE, but my favorite will be when we competed at district. First my voice was gone, and second I go to the hospital because of a finger injury. That day I felt like I was in a family again because you all cared, I thank you all. And Rigby my respects for you even though you opt for USU. ha ha it’s a joke8).

No comments:

Post a Comment