Tuesday, March 2, 2010

We The People Bio - Katelyn Gines


There are no words that describe how I truly feel about We the People. Originally, I joined the team because it sounded fun and I had learned to love the Constitution during History 1700 junior year with Mr. Rigby. I never could have imagined how my life would change in just a few months of starting WTP.
It started out with me, Katelin, an individual. That's all I was. Then I was placed in Unit 4 (the best Unit :) I'm not biased, I promise!) where I was able to get to know three amazing people that I would have never become friends with had I not joined the team. Through the countless hours we spent together we came to view each more as a family! As our unit started to mesh, I learned that relying on someone else is okay. I could not win Districts, let alone State, without the help from my Unit.
January 14, 2010, came. For most it was an ordinary day, but for 29 high school students it was everything. At the end of the competition we saw a change. We were no longer 29 individuals or 6 Units, we were a team. We bonded through the "We the People High" that can't be described. You don't understand it until you have competed and seen what WTP is all about. We experienced this again on February 8, 2010. Before the awards were even announced you could feel the spirit of the team as we gave each other high fives and hugs.
At this point, it would not have mattered whether we had won State or lost. We had all done our best and we knew it. I felt almost fearless. Winning wasn't everything. I looked back reminiscing about what I had learned, who I had come to know and love as family, and the many inside jokes. That's when it truly struck me...if we lost; I would still do it all over again. Every hour of lost sleep, every frustration, every ounce of anger...I wouldn't take any of it back. This team and my amazing teammates have helped shape me to who I am. This program might seem strange to some, but to those involved it will become a priceless montage of memories that changed themselves for the better.
I am extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to participate in this program and can't wait to represent Utah in Washington D.C. at nationals. Thank you to everyone that has supported us and everyone who will support this team in the future. We couldn't have done it without the support of our families and friends. A special thanks To Mr. Rigby for all the time he had given to us and to his family for sacrificing their time with him! You guys are awesome! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment